Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Voila! Ugly bathroom shelf gone!

My bathroom is spacious, but quite honestly, it also a travesty. We make the best of it, and have been adding little things as we go. When my son and I moved into the house in January, there wasn't a mirror, towel bars, or a toilet paper holder. My husband and I aren't really interested in spending a ton of money on a home we don't own, so we bought inexpensive items to meet our needs even though they aren't necessarily our taste.

Well, I have a picture I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I purchased in college at Ross or Marshall's. Almost every bathroom I've had I have decorated around this picture. I really like the look of all white and grays and blues in a bathroom. It has a relaxing, spa-like feeling to me. After we got married, we received a gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond, and we purchased lovely light gray towels for my husband and son to use so they wouldn't ruin my white ones. I love them both dearly, but within two weeks of our wedding, I had to bleach towels! Ummm, yeah. Not a fan of that. So they boys have gray towels and I have white ones. Now, here is a picture of what I already had in the bathroom. I'm not in a hurry to replace my curtain or rings either, and since the color works, for now they will do. 


Nevermind Woody and my flat iron. ;-) As you can see, the linen shelves are a great feature but an eyesore. A friend had given me the idea to make Roman shades. I loved the idea, but felt a little bit daunted by such an undertaking of sewing. We went to a Joann's and I found a beautiful linen fabric with gray flowers that was was simple enough not to offend my uber-masculine husband's sensibilities. Fast forward about three weeks...still staring at the linen shelves and with more time on my hands, I set to work.

I nixed the idea of Roman shades, simply because I didn't have the finances to buy more material and notions to make them and well...I have no patience when I decide I want to start a project! Since I didn't have a pattern of any kind, this is all I had to get my shelf hider completed:


I took a BUNCH of measurements. I mean a WHOLE BIG BUNCH. How wide I wanted it, how long the space was, where I actually wanted it to fall (I wanted to be able to leave it up to sweep and mop), and added extra for 1/2" seams (for no other reason than it makes for easy math). I have no recollection of how much material I purchased, but I went down the length with my tape measure and pinned ever 8 inches or so, and simply followed the line to cut out my desired piece.


It didn't take too long, but I am still getting to know my sewing machine (a freebie from a friend that never used it!) and I struggled with the button-holer thingy. I got frustrated and took it to my mother's. Her sewing machine is less than a year old, and had special features that made it a cinch!  I made 5 button holes across the top to hang on silver hooks I already had in a picture hanging kit. And here is the finished product:


Much better! My husband loves it and it hides all that ugly shelving and our stuff!

Next, I think we will be painting the wood fixtures we bought a brushed nickel finish, and maybe paint the walls a gray-white.

No comments: